Running is an activity you either love or hate, but whichever camp you’re in, Polar’s new Pacer and Pacer Pro watches want to improve your performance — even if you’re a total beginner.
These lightweight watches have built-in GPS and depending on the model, a running or walking performance test that helps determine your overall fitness level using. On paper, this sounds like it could be a more useful way of interpreting VO2 max levels rather than just presenting a number on screen like other smartwatches. Then, you can plan workouts based on heart rate, speed or time goals. There are also specific profiles for trail running, track and field or indoor runs.
After each run you’ll see a score that’s calculated by looking at your heart rate and speed, to help measure your performance over time. Recovery also plays a part in performance, so sleep tracking and 24/7 heart-rate monitoring is on both watches. Like other Polar devices, you’ll be able to see ameasurement that shows how well your body has recovered from the day.
The Pacer Pro is the more advanced of the two, with an aluminum bezel and barometer that lets you monitor power levels in watts from your wrist. This could help you avoid burning out too early, or push the intensity a little more to finish your workout strong. Both have a memory-in-pixel color screen with Gorilla Glass 3, textured buttons and music controls, and they can get notifications from your iOS or Android phone.
These are the main features of each watch.
Polar Pacer Pro
- Built-in GPS, barometer, magnetometer
- Turn-by-turn navigation and routes
- Running test
- 10 LEDs for optical heart-rate readings that cover a range of wavelengths
- Weighs 1.44 ounces (41g)
- Up to 7 days battery life in power save mode, 35 hours with full GPS and heart rate, up to 100 hours training time
- Available in gray, white, blue, maroon and green
- $299 (or 299 euros, which is about £250 or AU$435), available now
- Built-in GPS
- Guided fitness programs
- Walking test
- Weighs 1.41 ounces (40g)
- Up to 7 days battery life in power save mode, 35 hours with full GPS and heart-rate
- Available in black, white, teal, dusk
- $199 (or 199 euros, which is about £165 or AU$290), shipping in May